FM/UL fire set
Factory Mutual (FM) and/or Underwriting Laboratories (UL) pumps are used within sprinkler installations to protect a wide range of properties from the effects of fire. There is a vast range of products available for individual property installation requirements. Units are available compliant to the latest National Fire Protection Association (NFPA20) requirements and annexes, with further approvals to either Factory Mutual (FM) Datasheets or listed in the Underwriting Laboratories (UL).
A standard FM/UL set could consist of the following
- Diesel pumpset (including pump-end, FM/UL approved diesel engine, 8 hour double-walled fuel tank*, 12v lead acid batteries, LCD colour display controller, suction and discharge pressure gauges and air release valve all on a single skid)
- Jockey pump (Grundfos CR pump achieving a minimum of 1 bar over the closed valve pressure of the proposed duty pump)
- NFPA20 Jockey pump starter (direct on-line starter)
- Remote Alarm Panel (for monitoring of signals remote from the pumphouse)
* Please note an 8 hour double-walled fuel tank is as per the requirements in Factory Mutual Datasheets. Within NFPA20 a single-walled fuel tank sized to 5.07 litres per kW is acceptable, which is also available upon request.
What standards is this equipment approved / compliant to?
- NFPA – National Fire Protection Association and Annexes
- NFPA20 – Standard for the Installation of Stationary Pumps for Fire Protection
- FM – Factory Mutual Datasheets
- UL – Underwriting Laboratories
When would I need a FM/UL set?
Within the UK, each building is defined by the criteria of the installation and a relevant insurance body is appointed. If assigned as FM/UL, then a main assessor would be appointed to the site. This is so there is a risk management assessment on each individual application identifying the level of protection required from the sprinkler protection system within specific regions. This assessor may also state that particular regions will not need sprinkler protection if there is no observed fire risk.
- High rise buildings
- Shopping centres
- Large commercial units
- Industrial premises
- Industrial processes
- Oil rigs
- An extensive range of FM/UL giving peace of mind of a solution being available to sites individual requirements.
- LCD colour display electric and diesel control panel allowing easy to use operation and easy visual indication of current conditions.
- Print-off and downloadable pump operation logs for easy monitoring of the system.
- All components within the pumps are independently approved and tested ensuring the product meets the expected high quality.
- Pumps can be produced in higher grade materials for specific pumped liquids ensuring reduction of corrosion damage and increasing longevity of the product.
- A wide selection of options and accessories are available including pump housing to facilitate the selection of the correct equipment.
For more information on how to select a FM/UL fire set and other ancillary equipment that is available please download the data sheet from the documentation tab.
Data Sheet - 11/17
High rise fire protection
A range of fire protection sprinkler products and hydrant systems specifically for high rise buildings